Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

Indie Game Night - November 15th 2012

This was a fun night. There was a presentation by Tom Beatty about Flash and Stage 3D. Very interesting stuff in the world of Flash. This was followed by a relaxed mingling of indie devs showing off games. I played a few, and they were very well done. Though unfortunately I did not write anything down, so I have no idea what the games were called or who made them. :(

However, we did take the opportunity to show off SPACE Episode 1: The Old Man and the Escape. I think people had a fantastic reaction to it, better than I hoped. Most played through a few levels, and seemed to adapt to the controls with ease. This was wonderful, and really drove home the point that we are making a game that people will enjoy. The best part was the fact that everyone related it to Smash TV, which was a direct inspiration source. Smash TV is one of my all-time favorite games, and we actually began by making an almost direct port. But, we are on a slightly different path that adds some more entertainment to the game, justified by the favorable reactions that SPACE Episode 1 received.

I would like to thank the University of Utah, their EAE (Electronic Arts & Engineering) department, and Greg Squire for putting this night together. It was fun, and I can't wait for the next one.

Update-

Here are some other write-ups of the event:

http://monkey-time.blogspot.com/2012/11/utah-indie-games-night-november-2012.html
http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=5179

No comments:

Post a Comment