I participated in the Ludum Dare for the first time. Check out the site here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/
And my entry is here: You are the Asteroid!
I did the competition, so I had 48 hrs to create a working game. The theme was "You are the Villain".
What went right:
- I FINISHED!!!. I was able to upload a playable game. That was awesome. My first ever.
- The effects. I enjoyed the imagery of my game. Going for over-the-top fx was fun. Maybe could have been pushed a little bit more.
- Coding - I brushed up on my unity scripting abilities, and had a blast doing it.
- The community - I really enjoyed the event, and following along with others as we all participated. It was extremely fun seeing all the entries.
What went wrong:
- I think the biggest thing that affected my performance was the fact that I started out with no direction. Halfway through I changed what I was going to do, and didn't even have a one-sheet for the design or purpose.
- Controls - Didn't get a lot of time to test them. They worked, but it seems many people found them confusing.
- No sound. Submitted at the last second, and had no time for even placeholder sound.
Overall, I had a great time. Pushed myself, as I am an animator, and never really did a whole game before, so this was intense. I learned a lot, and I am excited to continue participating in the Indie community. I love it here.
I would also like to thank everyone who commented and helped out. Once again, a great community. You all rock.